Monday, April 13, 2009

The Autograph Dilemma


There are some people who can make the simplest, most fun task seem like a chore. I don't think I'm one of those people, but after I tell you my problem you may not agree. When I started this blog I said I was going to chronicle my journey toward publication. Several days ago, right here in this blog, I celebrated the fact that the ARCs for Never Slow Dance With A Zombie were in, and that I was asked by my publisher to sign 11 copies.


I sat down over the weekend about to sign a copy for a fellow blogger and stopped cold. Where do I sign? I went through the few autographed books I own and discovered there doesn't seem to be a dedicated spot. Some signed the inside cover. One signed the back of the book jacket. I think the most popular place is the inside page with the title. My book has three such panels: two with just the title, and sandwiched between those is one with the title, my name and the publisher.


Which do I sign?


I know it's a silly problem. But one I am taking quite seriously. I want to get this right. So, yesterday I went to the local Barnes and Nobel (It was open on Easter Sunday) to further investigate. I thought I'd leave the store with a feeling of security. I thought there would be tons of autographed books available and I would see a pattern. No such luck. I left as confused as when I arrived.


So here I sit, pen at the ready, going back and forth over three pages. I feel like a contestant on Let's Make A Deal... is it behind door number one, door number two, or curtain number three. Pick the right one, and I'm a hero. Pick the wrong one and I've got seven cans of Vienna sausage. I will let you know what I decide. Hope I'm right.


Sleep tight...

4 comments:

  1. Hi there. I have a few autographed copies of books (I looked through about eight of them) and all but one have the autograph on the first page with the title on it. I hope this helps. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also had most autographs occur on the first page with the title. However, the amazing thing about publishing your own book is that it is your own book. If you think that your signature looks best on the margins of your favorite page, sign there! If you think you should sign the bottom of your photo on the back flap, do it! The book is your oyster, my friend. I'd say the only rule pertains to consistency, and I'm sure even that rule can and should be broken. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I took Bee's advice and signed the first page. Nothing feels right. So, I guess I needed some confirmation on what IS right. I know, I know, it's my oyster. But I guess in some things I am a conformist, so first page it is. But thanks for the comments. I always appreciate hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete