Monday, May 4, 2009

What Are The Rules?


Last night I finished reading the Meg Cabot series Allie Finkle's Rules For Girls. Okay, I know it's for ten year-old girls, but I loved reading them. I laughed out loud in many places. If you'd like to check it out
Click here: Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls by Meg Cabot Scholastic.com I like reading girl books or the dreaded word "chic lit." From Twilight to the Amanda Blake series, to Sophie Kinsella's Beckie Bloomwood series and on and on. These are my FUN reads--which is probably why I like writing about girls so much. From time-to-time I get looks form people when I tell them what I do. And lots of laughs from the guys. But I wouldn't trade it for the world. I don't apologize for it. It's what I do. There's no rule that says boys can't write for girls. If you think it's weird, it probably is... But I always seem to march to the beat of my own drummer. It's been like that since I was a kid. My first book comes out in four months and we'll see what readers think. Will I be accepted into the fraternity of girl writers? Time will tell.

I worked all day today on my new book series, Hollyweird. I'm currently writing the first book in the series and most days (when things are going good--like today) I'm having a ball. I LOVE what I do. So sue me. I can't wait to share sections of the book with you. It's about fifteen and a half year-old, Kris Golden, who lives with her father and older sister in Hollywood. Kris is a gifted child. Not math, or science or singing. Her gift is that she is a necromancer--she can spot the walking dead among us, raise the dead, and lay the risen dead back to rest. She's sort of a cross between Anita Blake and the Ghost Whisperer. I hope to finish by the end of June. I will keep you posted. And maybe I'll share a section or two with you here or on my website.

That's all for now.

Sleep tight, don't let the zombies bite.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's pretty cool that you're writing about girls. We're not exactly an easy bunch to get.

    By the way I can't wait for the book. I preordered it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girls rule! One of my goals is to get to a place where I can write middle grade for boys. That group is probably my favorite (save for cute pudgie little babies, and since they can't read, they aren't really competition).

    As for Hollyweird...I can't wait to hear more! This is what I love about blogs and author sites! Pique my interest, share teasers! the anticipation is so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thnaks Bee, for the pre-order. I appreciate the support. And, Sam, there will be more on Hollyweird soon.

    ReplyDelete