Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Heart Warming Launch Party Story



Fans young and old attended my launch party.  That’s part of the fun of writing this genre—you really do have fans of all ages.
This post, however, is about two particular fans.  Let me tell you a little bit about these girls.  I first met them two years ago at Never Slow Dance With A Zombie Fest.  They arrived late because their guardians drove them all the way from San Diego (two hours) for the event.  At the time they had recently been taken in by relatives when their mother became unfit to raise them. They were going to go into foster care.  The relatives that took them in, did not want to break up the family, so despite personal hardship, they took the girls in.  Never Slow Dance With A Zombie Fest seemed a safe environment for a Halloween party, so they brought the girls. 
While they were at the fest, the guardians bought one copy of Never Slow Dance With A Zombie for the girls to share, and something amazing happened.  The girls enjoyed Never Slow Dance With A Zombie, so much so, that they became readers.  You know how hard it is to get some kids to read, and I hate to say it, but especially black kids. 
Suddenly I had two young fans dying for my next book.  That gave me a double thrill—what author doesn’t like to have fans?  But more importantly, we all know that reading really is fun-damental, and that while these girl's discovery of reading may not ensure their future, it will definitely put them on the right path to a getting a good education.
Saturday the girls had their foster parents bring them up to LA so they could each get their own spanking new copy of Boyfriend From Hell signed by me.



Sorry the quality of the photo is not good.  Their dad (guardian) took it with his phone.  I wanted to share it with you so you could see how proud they are to each have their own copy of Boyfriend From Hell. That is too cute!
If you know me, you know I am sincere when I say how much I love my friends/fans ( I am now coining the phrase—Frans… friend + fan).  Knowing your work can have a positive influence on people makes writing these silly stories all the more worthwhile.  I love these girls. 
Thanks for taking the time to read this.  This post means a lot to me. Boyfriend From Hell is available right now on Kindle and Nook for just $3.99, $12.95 for a hard copy. http://evanlowe.com/  See for yourself what all the fuss is about.

Peace.

8 comments:

  1. What a touching story! I am always trying to get two of my 3 girls to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny. My daughter is 2-1/2 and loves to read books. I hope her love of books grows with her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story. My teenage stepdaughter (who lives with us full-time) wasn't a big reader up until a few years ago. So pleased she found the love.

    And it sounds like the launch party was a success. That's awesome. You deserve it.

    "and something amazing happened. The girls enjoyed Never Slow Dance With A Zombie,"- I don't think it's that amazing when we're talking about a good writer :)

    Have a good weekend.

    Paul D. Dail
    www.pauldail.com- A horror writer's not necessarily horrific blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello..coming by via bookblogs.. hope you can visit me too.. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story, E! I can imagine how gratifying it must feel to touch lives like that. So touching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so wonderful. I love it :0) Thanks for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    I have recently started following this blog!

    I found you on Book Blogs and would love it if you could also check out my blog - it can be found at Storybook Love Affair - www.storybookloveaffair.blogspot.com

    Thanks!

    Megan.

    ReplyDelete