Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Branded!

This is a post about branding, which I admittedly know very little about, so it will be a short one. The one thing I know is that we writers need to brand ourselves. We need to find the one thing that distinguishes us from others in our genre. I write paranormal YA romance with a comedic twist. That's how I plan to distinguish myself.. until that proves not to work. Then I will come up with something else.

A few months ago I was talking to a friend about branding. I knew the friend as an actress who acted in a pilot I did back in 2005, when we met. What I didn't know was that before acting, she worked in branding. She gave me a wealth of advice, most of which I believe has to to with physical products and not me--a person. One thing she said that I liked is that a brand should have a distinguishing mark, or logo. I don't know what I will do with a mark or logo, but I had one designed. I designed it after the Facebook and Twitter icons. This is it below:




I also had one done in green, but I like blue best.




So what do you think? That drop of blood is kind of sexy, right? Or maybe that's just my morbid side showing. Oh, well...

Is this logo a waste of my hard-earned cash? I have a tiny one I can use as my signature on blog posts and emails. Guess I will start there. Unfortunately, it's too late to load it for this post. Next time. Let me know what you think.

Peace.




4 comments:

  1. I love it! It's to the point and has a little bit of attitude. It's not too ostentatious. I think you should use it for everything! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I needed a vote of confidence. I am still trying to figure out how and when to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it too - use it on bookmarks, on the pages or beginning chapters of your upcoming books, or reprints.....on your blog of course, and a big old tattoo! I like the blue best also. Just kidding about the tattoo (although....you could make some stick on tattoos?) and make sure you copyright this...asap :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mardel. I love the tattoo idea... the stick-on, of course '-)

    ReplyDelete