Tuesday, July 13, 2010

On Winning


George Steinbrenner died today. For many people who didn't know him (and I didn't) if you heard his name it conjured up images of an evil, power hungry man. But if you took the time to read his incredible obit, or listened to the things former and current players had to say about him, you'd come away with a far different image. George Steinbrenner was neither all the good or bad things people say about him. He was a man who put his all into achieving his dreams.


I am a Yankee fan. I grew up in the Bronx, in the shadow of Yankee Stadium. When I was a kid, the Yankees were a storied franchise. But they weren't winners... And then, while I was still quite young, Steinbrenner took over. He was like a breath of fresh air to our city. He was fiery, controversial. And five years later, the Yankees were on top again. Now, I know they say the man is guilty of buying his teams. But wouldn't you spend your own hard earned money on your dreams? Only if they are important enough to you. His dream was to make the Yankees winners again. It was important to him. He wanted to win. He didn't cheat. He didn't break the rules. and he NEVER denigrated his opponents. He spent his money on what was important to him--his family, his community, his charities and the Yankees.


I want to be be a winner in my life. I don't want to win at all costs. But like Steinbrenner, I want to win. I know my goals. I know what I want out of my life and my career. I plan to spend my time, and my money, achieving my goals; and the rest of my time will be spent loving my family and friends, and giving back. I want to live my life like George Steinbrenner.


What's wrong with putting your all into your dreams? If you ask me--nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment